Old 26-01-2005, 11:34 PM
David

Really good responses folks. Thank you. I have a much better grasp of
the issues now. They build everything out of concrete over there, and
thus have gotten really good at it. And freezing is not an issue.
Further, as labor for this kind of work runs at about $4 U.S. per day,
I imagine that it would really run the costs up to import EPDM liners,
especially when they would have had no experience in installing them
anyway...

Regards,
David

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:42:25 -0700, David wrote:

I recently returned from Thailand, and watched a chap build a koi
pond, from scratch, out of concrete, concrete blocks, and mortar. One
person, it took him less than three days to complete. Admittedly it
was pretty rudimentary -- a nearly rectangular pond about 12x20x3 ft
deep. I don't want to get into the debate about whether or not this
is an appropriate koi pond; I can only say that he has two other
smaller ones filled with koi that he has successfully run for over a
decade.

The question I would like to ask is why I see so little discussion
about concrete ponds in the NG, and so much discussion about lined
ponds,,,(and the associated problems with liners, etc.) This is a
serious question, not a troll, from a newcomer to the subject.

I have seen this same kind of pond construction throughout several
countries in that part of the world, so I have to conclude that it
must work. I just don't understand why we don't like it very much in
our part of the world??? Can someone please enlighten me?

TIA, David

For email, please eeliminate the threee dubbel-ewes in: