Old 26-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Newt

MAC Wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:37:23 -0500, "Jeff Springer"
wrote:
-
Hi,

Since we are getting close to spring I thought that I seek some ideas
from
the group. I would like to solicit ideas for a small tree (20-25'
max.) to
be placed in my front yard. A little history..... The house was
previously
owned by a landscaper and he has already planted a nice assortment of
trees:
japanese maples (coral bark, red laceleaf, green laceleaf), corkscrew
willow, river birches, holly trees, magnolia, pin oak, zelkova, mostly
in
the backyard. The front yard has wonderful shrub and flower beds, but
would really like to fill one spot near the driveway (= no sappy
trees).....
I want to find something that is rare and unique (a showstopper).
While I
am not looking to spend a bundle, I would definitely pay more to
acquire
such a tree. Any ideas? Something that would fluorish in SW Wake
County.
One tree I am thinking about is a Chinese flame tree.....
-
One that I'd like to plant is a Forest Pansy Redbud, which has
striking purple leaves most of the year, great fall color, and amazing
flowers in the spring. Tops out at around 20 feet, but takes a while
to do it. I understand it does well here without a lot of work, too,
although I haven't seen that many around. Here's a pic from a
wholesaler to give you an idea. It's about halfway down the page.

http://tinyurl.com/5t37p

MAC

Hi Mac,

Great tree, but some things to note about it are that it tends to be
short lived and needs to be pruned properly, eliminating 'V' shaped
crotches and leaving the 'U' shaped ones. Also, fall color can be
variable, so if that is very important to you, purchase in fall to
determine color. You should find this an interesting read.

http://tinyurl.com/6p93q

Newt

--
Newt