Old 26-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

P.F. Stevens maintains the state of the art at the Angiosperm Phylogeny
Website

http://www.mobot.org/MOBOT/research/APweb/

Thanks for that. I can't say that I am impressed by its approach,
though I know that almost all journals are dominated by similar ones,
and I am not excluding Nature[*] :-(

At least he is aware of the problem: "remember that even well-supported
trees remain no more than hypotheses".

Convergent evolution is as possible at the biochemical level as it is
at the morphological level, after all ....
[*] By which I mean performing analyses or running programs that produce
relationships and 'confidence' without implementing a well-defined
mathematical model.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.