Old 26-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:00:25 +0000, david
wrote:

It'a funny thing but most of us right handed gardeners dig
left-handed,i.e. our left foot goes on the spade and our left hand goes
down the shaft.

Can't say as I've noticed that - but then again I can't say that I've
actually watched that many people digging and thought to note their
technique.
I even had to stand up and mime my own technique to check it - and
it's right hand down the shaft.

snip

When you have finished come indoors and lie flat on your face
with your legs together and arms by your side.Keeping your leg straight
raise it up for a few moments then lower it.Repeat with the other leg.
Clench your fists and raising the hips slightly push your hands
along your groins and rest your weight on them.Now raise both legs
simultaneously.If you have any minor displacements you will feel them
being lifted into place.

Probably good advice - and also seems to describe with uncanny
accuracy what happens to me after a shandy too many at the local pub
of a Sunday lunchtime.

I am eighty years of age and this morning I dug a small part of the
garden for my onion sets,afterwards forking in some 6-X. (10 ft x 4'6
ins).I have cultivated this garden for over fifty years.Some of the TV
gardeners make me wince when they dig - others are good at mixing
concrete,and no doubt some bright young things will take over after me
and build more patios and fountains and pretty pebbles whilst eating
bought pizzas;meantime I'll stick to the soil and the incomparible
organic produce and live a bit longer.

Haven't made a start on my veg plot yet - the ground's still far too
claggy here. Have done some 'frost hoeing' though - which has helped
to knock back the creeping buttercup.
My improvised cloches quite literally upped and disappeared during one
of the nastier gales we had - though in return I gained a steel
dustbin lid ( minus a handle ) and a Countryside Alliance poster with
the word 'ARSE' written on in black marker.

So it's not all bad.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk