Old 27-01-2005, 06:59 AM
George Pontis

In article et,
says...
I would like to try two or three Clown Loaches in my 75 gal planted tank. I
think they are really neat fish and they should eliminate my snail problem.

I do seem to remember hearing that they are very hard on plants however. Is
this true? If so, then maybe I don't want them after all.

Any input from anybody who has had Clown Loaches in a planted tank would be
greatly appreciated.

I have an 80G tank with a four or five potted plants. The fish include 6 fully
grown clown loaches and assorted Lake Malawi cichlids. The plants were in a mix of
sand and fluorite. The plants did OK with CO2 but had fairly low light.

The loaches dug up most of the plants and uprooting a few of them. I abandoned all
but two swords, then repotted them with a layer of 1" river pebbles on top. This
seems to have solved the problem.