Old 27-01-2005, 12:36 PM
David

Guppy21014 wrote:

I make a lot of mustard throughout the year. I would like to try to grow my
own mustard seeds. How much seed could I expect to get from 1 plant? I usually
use between 25 and 30 pounds of seed per year. To harvest it do I need to
remove hulls? Wow so many questions for a simply bag of mustard seeds. Any
advice would be appreciated. Pam

I grow a fair amount of different types of mustard, but collecting 25 -
30 lbs of seed seems like a lot. I usually let 3 or four plants go to
seed and collect a few ounces of seeds from them for the next planting.
So I would guess maybe an ounce per plant? And yes, you will need to
remove hulls. I do it by hand given the small amounts, but it is very
labor intensive. I'm sure there must be other ways of hulling them.

David