Old 27-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Spider

PhilBoy wrote in message
ups.com...
The fence at the top of my back garden, owned by my neighbour, is
broken and falling down, basically it's a wreck. Cats get through and
attack the birds in my garden. It is also in my opinion a security
risk from burglars. My neighbour wont fix it

I would like to plant an extremely nasty, anti cat, and anti burglar,
hedge. I would like something that grows relatively quickly and that I
would be able to prune with powerful electric hedge trimmers. 5 ft.
tall would be my target height. I plan long-term to remove my
leylandii when the hedge is formed.

Any ideas? Pyracanthea, Rosa rugosa, or berberis. A bonus would be to
have butterflies and birds attracted to my hedge.
Phil of Whittlesey Peterborough England

Hi Phil,

Judging by the number of times my cats come home with thorns in their sides,
it is apparent that they have absolutely no respect for thorns!

Plant an evergreen Berberis hedge (B. darwinii is good, and very available)
to ward off burglars and opportunist two-legged rats. Also enjoy the hedge
for what it is, not just as a utility screen.

Although I do love my cats, and admire many others, I really do understand
that some visiting cats can be a thorn in the side. I'm very lucky because
my cats see off the most offensive callers. There's not a lot you can do.
However, having owned cats for 25 years, I can assure you that most cats
cease active hunting as they mature ... like most opportunists, they're
basically lazy.

When frustration moves you to anger, don't throw stones .. throw water. It
works, and even the RSPCA approve it.

Best of luck,
Spider