Old 27-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Irene

escape wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 00:39:39 GMT, Phisherman

opined:

Not so, but you need to understand how it is done. I've used Burpee
(true) Lavender seeds with great success when following the

directions
on the packet. Lavender seeds are very slow to germinate--I know it
can take 6 weeks. The seeds are covered with a layer of 1/4" fine
soil in a pot, protected with a piece of glass, and in a sunny

window.
Strange, but without sun, they probably won't germinate. The
seedlings are transplanted to individual pots or to the outdoors

after
the last frost. It takes a year or two before producing flowers.

Lavender needs light to germinate. At best, I've seen them

germinate, but the
plants are spindly and this person does not live in a climate where

there is a
second year for lavender. I still recommend buying 4" containers of

plants. To
fill the space the original poster wants to fill would take about 20

plants,
give or take and a beautiful stand in one season.

Well, I live in zone 5 and have some lovely Lavender Munstead that I
started from seed and is still going strong 3-4 years later, so don't
give up! It did take a couple of years to get a decent show, but
they've been successful enough that this year I'm planning to divide
them. They are on the east, sheltered side of the house, so that could
be a factor in my success. I forget where I got the seeds - probably
either Johnny's or Pinetree.
I did start them inside and transplant them, fwiw.

Irene