Old 27-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Sacha

On 27/1/05 3:38 pm, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

David wrote:
Can anyone suggest a "substantial" flowering perennial (or annual)
for the back of a border in a corner. I had verbena bonariensis

last
year, but it was too see-through and didn't have enough presence.

want something heavier and bulkier, with more oomph.

Others will have many suggestions, but it sounds like a case for
delphinums to me, if the aspect's right. Good tall ones, not the
paltry modern runts.

Or sweet peas: again, not the modern abortions, but proper scented
ones.

Mike.

Or a Cardoon - now *that's* 'presence' in a minimum of 6'x6'! ;-) Or, if
the climate is right, Amecia zygomeris, tall, unusual, pretty, quite
eye-catching. And Salvias are greatly under-rated, IMO. Again, which are
grown will depend on the location but here we get Salvia involucrata through
the winter and its zinging pink flowers stop everyone in their tracks, as
does Thalictrum Hewitt's Double - a really marvellous plant.
And if David had Verbena bonariensis last year, I would be surprised if he
doesn't find he's got it again this year - unless he hoicked it out before
it could seed!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk