Old 27-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Sacha

On 27/1/05 6:32 pm, in article , "JennyC"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

snip

And a word to all those lefties out there - if you're customers of Lloyds
Bank you can get a left handed cheque book and it's a real boon!
Sacha

Aggghh pet hate mode on

Cheques !!
Totally antiquated and out of date.
Why does England persist with them ????
Debit cards are SOOOOOOOO much handier !

A local travel agent will charge me even for using my debit card. AND, a
few days ago I went to one of those sales of posh goods in a posh house and
later spoke to someone who had bought quite a lot and post-dated her cheque!
I admit I was surprised by this but you can't post-date a debit card. One
or two of our local shops won't take either debit or credit cards so in e.g.
a local butcher I have no choice but to use a cheque.
You would be *amazed* how many people say to us "you don't take cards, do
you?" to which the answer is "we've been doing so for years". Somehow,
there seems to be a British reluctance to have your money zoom out of your
bank account before you can change your mind. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk