Old 27-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Richard Brooks

david wrote:
It'a funny thing but most of us right handed gardeners dig
left-handed,i.e. our left foot goes on the spade and our left hand
goes down the shaft.Try digging right-handed and you will problably
send the clods all over the place when you lift them up; but it's
well-worth persevering to alternate the strain on your back and
conserve your energy.When you dig make sure that the blade is
vertical which means that the shaft is tilted slightly forward,put
both hands on the handle and one foot on the blade then push down; if
the ground is hard you may have to jump on the spade; pull back on
the handle then push down until the clod is free;bend the knees not
the back then lift up by straightening them( it helps if you look
forward not down);turn the clod or throw forward.At the end of the
row do not go back to the start but step back, change from left to
right ( or vice versa) and proceed back. When you have finished come
indoors and lie flat on your face with your legs together and arms
by your side.

Spade size must also come into account. I've got my grandfather's spade
(the old tools really are the best) and it's narrower than the types
available from the usual outlets and it's beautiful to work with. I also
find that the plastic handles don't seem to work against the skin the same
way as steel.

As to left-handedness. I'm a sinister but eat and play the piano
right-handed although I found using a Lee Enfield a pain in the arse. Well,
it was for the guy in front!

Richard.