Old 28-01-2005, 01:18 AM
GFRfan

Edward M. Kennedy wrote:
"USENET READER" wrote

Plenty of employers *do* offer it if it is related to work. Care
to back up your implied (sneaky, aren't we?) claim that few
employees have access to on the job training?

unions do
help with that. Name me a profession that isn't unionized that have
apprenticeships? And don't say medicine, because that is apples and
oranges.

If you say so. Ironically, computers were the classic type of
learn-as-you-go work, though not as much now. Just about
every type of construction effectively works that way. You
don't take carpentry classes. You start as a helper. Same for
aliminum siding, roofing, sheetrock, etc. Electricians do the
formal version even where their aren't unions.

Lawyers, engineers, brokers, etc. start in junior positions.
Management in general is trains & grooms as you go. It's
a very common model, whether it is a formal apprenticeship
or not.

--Ted

The difference between unionized apprenticeship programs and just
company apprenticeship programs is standardization. Of course the ojt
occurs a bit differently depending on the respective industry, but the
classroom training is pretty much standardized in unionized
apprenticeship programs.