Old 27-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Geodyne

John Savage wrote in
om:

Just after Christmas I was walking along busy Obriens Road from
Wentworthville to Northmead (Sydney suburbs) where it crosses over
a creek and I believe I heard bellbirds calling along the creek.
Not quite as liquid as the bellbird calls I remember from the
rainforests of Cunninghams Gap area, but then my ears now would be
a lot tinnier than the times past when I explored the Gap area.

These in Wenty were just as elusive as true bellbirds: first one
nearby on my left would call, then one further away, then one on the
right, and another away in the distance, then another real close,
and so on. And like bellbirds, they remained unseen.

Now, if they weren't really bellbirds, any idea what species they
could have been?

Some neighbours told me recently that they had been hearing bellbirds at
Northmead (although I can't recall exactly where in Northmead they said
they were) and suspected that some had moved into the area this past
spring. I haven't seen or heard them personally, but it's quite possible
that you did hear bellbirds.

Geodyne