Old 27-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Craig Cowing

On Jan 27, 2005, at 4:11 PM, Jim Lewis wrote:

Sure. But less so. We don't have the bug-killing winters down
here, so we have more bugs. We don't have that many DIFFERENT
bugs. (South Florida, which may have Caribbean bugs, is
probably different.)

We've got everything you have (and probably more of them, for
longer in the year), INCLUDING bagworms, which according to my
books are found well into northern Maine (but they're not in the
upper Midwest, California or the Pacific Northwest).

I guess the bagworms haven't read your book. I'd never heard of or
seen them until I saw them in Maryland. Has anyone else seen bagworms
in New England?

Anita tells me (at least I think this is what she told me) that the
worms winter over in their cocoons. Most insects that I know of winter
in the ground or under leaves for protection from the cold. Of course
I haven't made a study of this, just casual observation.

I had a mosquito in my office a couple of days ago. They're usually
not very active this time of year. I guess it's kinda hard to lay eggs
in ice.

And you DO have a few that we do NOT have -- like Japanese
beetles.

We've got lots of those. Want some?
Fungal (and other?) plant diseases are more susceptible to
weather and climate than insects which can crawl, fly or cocoon
themselves out of the weather.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++