Old 28-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Mike Waterhouse

Default [IBC] Frozen pots and watering.

Last summer I built an addition on the north side of my fathers house
to serve as a cold storage basement for vegies. The space size is eight
feet wide by ten feet long by ten feet high. The space is not heated and
has a normal temp between 35 to 40 deg. fh so far this winter, a great
place for my potted trees as it turns out. It has been rather cold over the
past two weeks, (about 10 to 15 daytime and -10 to -20 at night outside) so
the inside temps have been slightly below freezing, between 28 and 30 fh.
While checking on them today I noticed many of them needed watering. After
watering I noticed that on a few of them the water was not soaking in after
a few minutes. After checking a little closer I found that they were
frozen. I decided to warm the space up to about 55 for about two hours to
try and thaw the frozen trees but I still had standing water on a few. The
trees are not potbound just frozen. should I bring the trees in to room
temp and thaw them to allow the watere to settle in or leave them alone?

Mike Waterhouse
Litchfield, Maine
Zone 4b
"Still plowing snow"

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++