Old 27-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Rogerx

Billy, there must be thousands of recommendations. Depending on who
you ask , and what their favorite rose is. The advice Charles gave
you is good, and since I too live in zone 7, I will tell you my
opinion.

I have 20 roses, most of them are Tea roses. My favorite rose seems
to change from time to time, but always coming back to "Don Juan". I
have two of them. From mid summer until frost, they just erupt with
huge (4"to5") Scarlet red blooms. This is not a repeat bloomer but a
continuous bloomer. In the heat of the day you can walk within 20' of
them and smell the rich rose aroma. They are climbers, and if you
don't support them the large blooms will bend the canes to the ground.
I have mine on a fence.

I only have one rose that is not in full sun. It is 9 years old and
seems quite content in the partial shade. During the summer it gets
about 7 hours of full to partial sun. It is a favorite of most: "Mr
Lincoln". Oh, and sometimes it is my favorite too..

Now, you can select some lesser varieties (my opinion) that are
disease and insect resistant. Some that you don't even have to spray.
But I like to select my roses for beauty and aroma , and if they
possess these other traits great. If you take this attitude, you
must have a spray program.

In our area our biggest disease problem is Black Spots and it can be
controlled. I spray ever 7 to 10 days with Fung-guard (not sure about
the spelling) with a teaspoon of Malathion per gallon(for the
insects). At any sign of black spots I selectively spray with
Manzate.

I know that some of the more educated rose lovers are shaking their
head no, but every one has their opinion, and this is mine.

Good luck and enjoy Rogerx

On 26 Jan 2005 12:46:55 -0800, "
wrote:

Hello-
Could anyone recommend a good rose to purchace for a beginner rose
gardener? Not new to gardening, but just new to roses. I live in zone
7. The space where i want to plant the rose is in full sunlight,
however it is under a leafy tree. So there is some shade. Any info
appreciated!

Billy Duncan
www.indoorfarmsupply.com