Old 28-01-2005, 05:49 AM
Craig Cowing

On Jan 27, 2005, at 8:43 PM, Mike Waterhouse wrote:

I don't have a greenhouse YET but I hope to have one in the near
future. I
have had problems with winter die back on my Tridents in the past and
I did
blame it on the cold weather here in Maine. Any thoughts on how to
over winter
them here in Maine? How cold can I allow Tridents to go?

Mike Waterhouse
Litchfield, Maine
Zone 4b

Mike:
Anita and I received a trident as a wedding present. Right now (with
-18) I have it in the basement in a cold spot. I don't know the
temperature but I can see my breath. The tree is in a styrofoam
cooler, mulched with leaves, and filled the rest of the way with
styrofoam peanuts. I water it every few days. It will go back outside
once it warms up some. I have generally been told that tridents are
really zone 6, and we're on the edge of that here. Some on the list
have told me in particular that they don't respond well to cold wind.

Sounds like a typical Maine winter. This is as cold as it gets here.
Should set a new record.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++