Old 28-01-2005, 06:58 AM
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote

snip

Aggghh pet hate mode on
Cheques !!
Totally antiquated and out of date.
Why does England persist with them ????
Debit cards are SOOOOOOOO much handier !

A local travel agent will charge me even for using my debit card.

That's because it's not standard practice (yet) :~))

few days ago I went to one of those sales of posh goods in a posh house and
later spoke to someone who had bought quite a lot and post-dated her cheque!

smug mode on
No wonder debt is such a huge problem in the UK :~)
snug mode off

I admit I was surprised by this but you can't post-date a debit card.

See ,smug mode

One or two of our local shops won't take either debit or credit cards so in

e.g.
a local butcher I have no choice but to use a cheque.

Is he situated next door to above mentioned travel agent ?

You would be *amazed* how many people say to us "you don't take cards, do
you?" to which the answer is "we've been doing so for years".

Bravo.

there seems to be a British reluctance to have your money zoom out of your
bank account before you can change your mind. ;-)
Sacha

Yes, but surely one thinks about what ones buys before hand ?

Don't start me on my 2nd pet hate about being able to get a massive mortgage
based on the house you want and not on the income you have....... :~))

Jenny