Old 28-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Nikki Casali

Justin wrote:
Hi Nikki,

Thanks for the response. At the moment, I just keep an eye on my CO2
permanent test. If it's dark green then it says it's ok.

I used to use a Hanna pH checker in combination with the chart in
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm to obtain CO2
levels. I do have a cheap pH test kit which is accurate to 0.5 pH, which
is rubbish really with this sort of application.

I watch my KH and
have only recently learnt the trick of adjusting the KH in the water I am
adding to my tank.

Why do you need to adjust KH?

I must confess, I don't actually check the PH of the
water I am putting in, I test the PH of the tank after I have added the
water and it is normally sitting at netural.

It sounds like you just need keep your water at that pH throughout the
day. I used to get a spurt of extra pearling with water changes. I don't
now as I keep the pH at optimum using a pH controller; I get that extra
pearling all the time.

I'd be interested to see a controller that displays real-time CO2
content. The only value that would need inputting is the KH.

I am looking at buying a PH controller for my tank to turn the CO2 off and
on. I looked at the Dupla, but that's AU$650, so I am trying to hunt down a
LFS here in Oz that sells Red Sea. Have you heard of them? If so are they
good?

I haven't heard of Red Sea pH controllers in the UK. I have an Aqua
Medic. It was time consuming monitoring manually before the controller
as I tend to be paranoid about these things. Like looking after a baby!
The luxury of it is worth the cost. The investment is paying dividends
in terms of free time.

Nikki