Old 28-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Hal

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:39:08 +0200, "Happy'Cam'per" wrote:

Hal, is Baghadad Lily the common name for it? Learn something new everyday.
The blue one is an endemnic species (Nymphae Capensis). At the moment I'm
more worried about the hot temp here, 35 degrees +, so they're taking a bit
of strain at the moment!

I don't know. Looks like what I bought as a Baghdad Viviparous
Tropical lily and I didn't think it got too hot for them. Mine gave
me one or two blooms a week all summer. Check the top side of the
leaf opposite of the stem and see if you don't see a small sprout
coming out of the leaf. That, to my understanding is the mark of a
viviparous lily that reproduces from the leaf. This was my first
year with one and I've never tried keeping a leaf with a new plant
over winter in an aquarium, but I've heard you can do that.

The information that came with mine indicated the water temperature
has to be about 70*F for them to do well, but my water temperature has
gone as low as 40*F for a few days and I can still see growth coming
from the plant. After wondering about it, I don't care what it is,
I just hope it lives through the winter, so I don't have to steal
another $25 of my wife's jewelry money to replace it.

Regards,

Hal