Old 28-01-2005, 02:26 PM
J Fortuna

Default advice needed - stressed plant and repotting

I need advice!

I got the Burr Nelly Isler 'Swiss Beauty' in the mail, and it came with four
spikes, two of them with big buds and two smaller ones. However, some of the
buds have blasted in the week or so that I have had the plant. Also a couple
of the leaves have grown yellow, and even when I got the plant I saw some
signs of rot on a few of the pseudobulbs, not much, and it's not been
spreading in the meantime, but still. The pseudobulbs looked wrinkled about
5 days after my initial watering, so I watered it again. However, I am used
to the pseudobulbs on my catt plumping up nicely the next day after
watering, and yet the Burr's pseudobulbs look as wrinkled as before
watering.

So I am thinking that maybe I need to take a look at the health of it's
roots. I would like to repot it to see what's going on down there. I am
resigned to the fact that the two spikes with the larger buds may not make
it, and if the root situation is dire I am more interested in saving the
plant than any of the spikes. However, ...

Questions:

I heard that unlike Phals, cattleyas can be only repotted at certain times
of year (was it during most active growth?), and that if repotted during the
wrong time of year this could kill the plant. (?) Is this true of Onc's and
intergeneric hybrids as well? Should I refrain from repotting it now after
all?

At this point I am not sure whether the plant is really in serious trouble
or whether I am just overreacting to signs of stress that just show that it
needs to adapt to it's new environment (the shift from greenhouse to
apartment). Should I repot now, or wait and see a bit longer?

If I look at the roots and there seem to be a lot of healthy roots. If I
just put it back in the medium and pot with as little disturbing of the
roots as possible, would the low spikes likely be fine and not in more
danger of blasting than they are now? If I see a lot of healthy roots, but
some rot, should I trim the rot away, or should I do as little disturbing of
all roots as possible if I want the spikes to not blast? (This is assuming
that overall the root health is ok, otherwise I won't care too much about
these spikes.)

Note: Some of you may remember my saying that I didn't repot orchids myself,
but would take them to a plant nursery to be repotted. This has changed, I
have repotted some of my orchids myself in the meantime, and am planning to
do this one myself. I still might take advantage of the repotting service at
times, since it is very convenient and quite affordable, but I no longer do
this all the time.

Thank you,
Joanna