Old 28-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Derek Broughton

Hal wrote:

Check the top side of the
leaf opposite of the stem and see if you don't see a small sprout
coming out of the leaf. That, to my understanding is the mark of a
viviparous lily that reproduces from the leaf.

Right.

This was my first
year with one and I've never tried keeping a leaf with a new plant
over winter in an aquarium, but I've heard you can do that.

My first (and so far only) tropical lily was a a "Tiger Lotus Lily" (only
marginally striped, and not at all like a lotus, so I figure it was named
by a real estate agent or a used car salesman). I never attempted to
overwinter the original tuber - I just saved the largest offshoots. That
worked for a few years, but I never did get as good results after the first
year - now I've got a greenhouse to start them in, it might work better.

The information that came with mine indicated the water temperature
has to be about 70*F for them to do well, but my water temperature has
gone as low as 40*F for a few days and I can still see growth coming
from the plant. After wondering about it, I don't care what it is,
I just hope it lives through the winter, so I don't have to steal
another $25 of my wife's jewelry money to replace it.

LOL. "But it's for a good cause..." :-)
--
derek