Old 28-01-2005, 06:13 PM

On 2005-01-28, Steve Holzworth wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

Trust me 8x10 is not big enough for a work space. My 12x20 is barely
acceptable. 16x20 is good. I saw one two story model at Home Depot in

I agree. I stick-built my own, framed to housing-code standards (it was
an experiment) at 8x12 with 8 foot T1-11 walls. I wish it were bigger
and I just use it for garden tool/misc storage.

Another consideration is what local zoning will allow. Cary requires a
building permit for anything over 120 sq ft or with electrical or
plumbing. Call your local building department to see what their
requirements are.

Even if it is not on a permanent foundation.?

I never bothered with a permit back in 82. It is sitting on 4x8x16
solid concrete blocks that I leveled with a line level. The door sticks
in dry times and loosens in wet times but no heaving or other problems
with the blocks. It just kind of "floats".

It did make it on the property tax rolls on the next assessment - which
is the real reason for a permit.
Most smaller sheds are built on skids, so there aren't any foundation
issues.

is a garbage address.