Old 28-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Andyd

Cherry Laurel is a good idea, but they do get to be pretty large
trees. I am not sure what they would look like if spaced for a hedge.
However they are fast growers and evergreen. Someone suggested a mix,
that is a good idea. Mountain Laurel would be the best, but is a very
slow grower. Perhaps some Yaupon in there.

Lots of people use Photinea, they are ideal for this purpose, and you
will probably get this recommendation from some people if you ask
around (but probably not from this newsgroup). I would tend to stay
away from this plant, it isn't a native and personally I just don't
like the way it looks. But they are commonly used for this purpose,
they grow fast, tall, and are very thick. But if you have some
patience and creativity, you would have a far nicer look with a mix of
native or native-ish plants.

andyd

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:47:39 GMT, escape
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:04:31 -0600, Rusty Mase opined:

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:28:11 -0600, Katra
wrote:

The local privett ash works well, .......

I do not think this is a useful name. The only native plants I can
think of would be Texas Mountain Laurel and Yaupon (Ilex vomitoria).
Mixing up these two, maybe with other native shrubs would create a
dense hedgerow maybe a dozen feet thick.

I would put Evergreen Sumac in there also but many of these in my
neighborhood are dying due to some disease possibly. Otherwise they
would be great also.

Rusty Mase

Cherry laurel is evergreen, so is Forestiera angustifolia, Mahonia trifoliolata
and many others. See this website for a ton of plant possibilities:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o.../nativeshrubs/