Old 28-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Cereus-validus...

Generic brown craft paper is specific? Put a brown paper bag over your head
and you can be the "Unknown Composter"!!!

Didn't you ever hear of using old newspaper to line bird cages? Or are you
like our president Dubya and don't (can't?) read newspapers?

"Nathan Mellor" wrote in message
I know its not made of cheese, but I'm also not planning to do art with it.
Kraft paper is a much more specific term for what I wan't. I was not
referring to a brand name; I don't believe Kraft makes kraft paper.

So, anything on my question?

http://www.afandpa.org/Content/Navig...y/Glossary.htm

Kraft paper: A paper made essentially from wood pulp produced by a
modified
sulfate pulping process. It is a comparatively coarse paper particularly
noted for its strength, and in unbleached grades is primarily used as a
wrapper or packaging material. It can be watermarked, striped, or
calendered, and it has an acceptable surface for printing. Its natural
unbleached color is brown but by the use of semibleached or fully bleached
sulfate pulps it can be produced in lighter shades of brown, cream tints,
and white. In addition to its use as a wrapping paper, it is converted
into
such products as: grocery bags, envelopes, gummed sealing tape, asphalted
papers, multiwall sacks, tire wraps, butcher wraps, waxed paper, coated
paper, as well as specialty bags and sacks.

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
m...

That's "craft" paper, like in arts and crafts.

Its not made out of cheese, you silly goose.

I know, a Google search turns up listings under the name "kraft paper".

Its
probably to make it easier for dyslexic finger painters to get a hold of
paper to play with.

"Nathan Mellor" wrote in message
I'm looking for a biodegradable liner to put in the droppings tray of
quail
cages I will build. This so I can add it to my compost bin. Kraft brown

or
brown indented paper sounds like a good idea. From previous posts it
sounds
like kraft paper is very recyclable.

My compost bin has never completely functioned, mostly because it is
disproportionately grass clippings (Nitrogen). The Coturnix quail
droppings
will be high nitrogen too, but I would expect that the kraft paper will
add
more carbon to the mix.

It's not very feasible to shred it finely since it will be covered with
droppings and likely damp. More likely it be crumpled up wads of
24"x36"
sheets with quail droppings wrapped up in them.

So how fast will it break down if not shredded? Mixed with grass

clippings
and some small number of leaves and weeds.

Nathan
Near Portland, OR