Old 29-01-2005, 12:53 AM
Kathryn Burlingham

Warren wrote:

Don't let the lack of snow or sub-zero temperatures fool you. Winter can
be quite wicked here. The frost damage I had last year was quite
extensive. There are times that I miss something as tame as ten inches
of snow.

Last year's ice storm was *extremely* atypical. Yes, there will be more
cold and wet and freezing to come, but there's also a lot of growin'
going on. If I want to call this spring, how does that hurt? I'm not
saying the fruit trees ought to be blooming now. Is it not really spring
in April in Upstate New York because they can get snowstorms in May?
Spring doesn't necessarily mean safe!

I've been in Portland for 15 years, to me, spring starts in February.
It's a little early this year, is all.