Old 28-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Bob Hobden

"Larry Stoter" wrote ((SNIP))

Last year, we went to the HDRA 'Potato Days' weekend at Ryton - were you
can buy by the tuber and got 6 tubers each of 6 varieties.

Scoring by taste, yield, resistance to pests & disease, and ease of
preparation, "Belle de Fontenay", a French variety, first described in
1870 was clearly the winner - in our garden. Tomorrow (Saturday) we're
off to this years 'potato days' and we'll get 20 or so Belle de
Fontenay plus another 3 or 4 differnt varieties.
--

That variety is quite commonly available now, even the RHS at Wisley has it
and they are probably cheaper than the HDRA too, although mostly dearer than

--
Regards
Bob