Old 29-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Kay

In article , Duncan Heenan
writes
I am about to start planting phase 2 of my orchard (non-commercial) which I
am developing, having just finished terracing it with retaining walls. I
would appreciate any suggestions on what to plant. I am looking for
something a little 'different', but low maintenance (so no soft fruit).

What do you mean by low maintenance? I grow tayberries, loganberries and
the like, and maintenance consists of a once-a-year chore of cutting out
all the canes that have fruit and tying in all the ones that haven't.

Phase 1 has : Black Mulberry, Cherry, Pears (conference & Williams),
Apples( Cox Orange Pippin, Bramley, Granny Smith, George Cave, Deacons
Millennium),

More apples, but of less usual varieties. My current favourite is
Cornish Aromatic. Try somewhere like Scotts of Merriot for 100
varieties.

I have already decided to have some apricot fans on the back wall, and a
couple of olive trees, but now I've run out of ideas. Ideas please! Over to
you.

Medlar. Totally labour free, attractive large white flowers, and fruit
can be made into a mild jelly which is good as a jam and even better
served with lamb or turkey.

Quince - the proper tree (Cydonia) rather than 'japanese quince' or
Chaenomeles.
--
Kay