Old 29-01-2005, 05:19 AM
RWL

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:42:51 -0500, "Joe" wrote:

I want to purchase a small, 48" deck, commercial grade ztr mower

I have a 52" Grasshopper with a 20 HP B&S engine and enjoy mowing with
it. There is some technique involved in learning how not to scalp /
scuff the grass with the drive tires when making 90 degree turns.
I'm not sure if one brand of ZTR mower or type of tire is better or
worse in this regard.

I test drove a Gravely and the Grasshopper when I was shopping for
this a few years ago. After I'd made my purchase I tried driving a
Badger (I think that was the name - it was dark green) and I can't
say that I was able to tell a difference in how any of the three of
them were to drive. Now that I've had a few years of mowing
experience I might. The Grasshopper is easy to maintain. the oil
drain is easy to reach, and of course the air cleaner is right on top.
I recall that there was a discussion on one of the lawn care groups
about avoiding mowers with Kawasaki engines because they had a
lubrication problem and the engines failed at an unusually young age.
I don't know which brands of mowers they were on or whether the
problem has been rectified.

I have yet to read any long term ZTR owners with experience with
multiple machines give any reasons to purchase on brand over another
other than the problem with the Kawasaki engines.

RWL
******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******