Old 29-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Theo

HI Craig
Craig Cowing wrote:

On Jan 28, 2005, at 4:08 PM, Jim Lewis wrote:

On 28 Jan 2005 at 6:44, synex wrote:

Theo - I wasn't pouncing on you, but yes, if I took it/responded the
wrong way, I apologise. You talk about "basic knowledge" though. I have
to start somewhere - a lot of people in here are insistent this is the
wrong way to go about it. I disagree - time will tell.

You ask for advice. You get it. You reject it. Why expect any
MORE advice?

Someone said the internet *and* books can be a bad way to learn

As I read the responses, I didn't hear anyone saying that the internet
and books were a bad way to learn. Quite the opposite--it is an
excellent way to start.

I said so !
I use internet myself to find out some detailed answer that I can
retrive only as I know the basic knowledge
but without the basic know how
internet is only growing lot of confusion in your mind
as Jim said there are many "IF " in growing bonsai according the
situation you are facing .. and also teh maturity and common sense of
the person that is reading the web pages

For the basic information is always useful IMHO for a newbe to have
them from a valuable source of a well known and experienced bonsai
grower written book ..

You can read it as many times as you want and think until you
correctly undestand what the writer ment ... you can check it in few
seconds to find and compare the desease explained and the other on
your tree..
not mentioning the trimming repotting varieties of soils and so on

The ideal way to learn bonsai should be books experience and tuitions
in a club .. all the 3 but when you do not have all tehse
opportunities you start from teh basics
your books and your neurones.. and than the net
I have friends that know very little about bonsai but have skills
in programmations and they made their *own * bonsai site grasping
informations from wherever and frankly are often quite ridiculus ..
reading an information from the net is not a garantee that is a real
and valuable information unless comes from a very well know person like
some we have here in the NG

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :