Old 22-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Craig Cowing

On Jan 22, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Nina wrote:

Craig Cowing wrote:
Garden variety mallsai. I've seen worse.

No you haven't. When I began to harass this poor man, he said "You
must be referring to the Harry and David Grapevine bonsai". I said
"Those things are the bane of my existence!!!!!" (Loudly. Causing
people to stare.).

Oh Nina. Making a scene! ;0)

I get a lot of "Bonsai Doctor" queries about Harry and David grapevine
bonsai. What especially steams me is that the solution to the problem-
putting the bonsai outdoors- is impossible for the type of person who
buys a bonsai from a food catalog (the Jackson and Perkins guy, to try
to mitigate the damage, explained to me "Harry and David don't know a
lot about plants. They're really food people."). These are people who
live in apartments or who can't be expected to water something twice a
day. And when I explain that grapes need a cold dormant period and
won't produce fruit unless they are pollinated, it's clear that the
bonsai is going to end up in the trash. So I dislike Harry and David
more than someone like "Bonsai Boy"
Nina. Back from CA, only to find a blizzard raging here.

Ok. I take it back. I'd never heard of the people, but then again, I
don't buy my groceries over the Internet.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++