Old 29-01-2005, 11:55 AM
j647

On 2005-01-27, Derek Mark Edding wrote:

Hi Folks,

I want to put a reasonably well constructed storage shed in my backyard
because I'm trying to use the back of my garage as a work area, and it
keeps filling up with stuff. I'm looking at ones around 8' x 10' in size.

Trust me 8x10 is not big enough for a work space. My 12x20 is barely
acceptable. 16x20 is good. I saw one two story model at Home Depot in
Apex (I think) that was 16x16 which would work and the price was
unbelievable. I believe it was built on site, but it must be prefabbed
for the price. It was sturdy and could be a MIL apartment with the
second floor.

Especially if you could lock it from the outside...

YOu ought to consider one of these builders that haul one to your house
if there is access to place it. Not sure what sizes they sell, but
probably 12x12 is largest. The ones I have seen at the fairgrounds
seemed sturdy when I jumped up and down in them, but you really have to
shop around. There used to be a Camper shell sales place up on
capital blvd near the 401 split that also sold the assembled ones that
seemed sturdy.

I was not impressed by those kits in the URL. If you have the skill to
assemble one of those, you have the skill to build it yourself cheaper
and beter. But the tradeoff is time and it is a two person job.

many years ago I built my 12x20 and later a 6x8 for bikes. YOu are
welcome to come take a look or ask me questions if you like. They both
have the barn like gambrel roof. The 12x20 cost me about 1500$ but that
was in 1982.
I have no idea what your price range is.

I've had poor experiences with sheet metal sheds in the past. They
flex, bend, rust, the doors pop off, and they become a habitat for
whatever small animals reside in the area.

I'd like to have one built from wood, siding, and asphalt shingles so
that it looks attractive and won't become an eyesore. I've seen some
like this that can be ordered as kits. For example:

http://www.handyhome.com/storage.htm

This is the basic idea, although I don't particularly want the barn
appearance.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with local storage building
suppliers or contractors who build them, and can give some advice. I'd
rather go with a local business if possible.

Thanks for any help.

-dreq