Old 29-01-2005, 03:04 PM
John McGaw

madgardener wrote:
today I found my first teeny golden crocus bud in one of my containers
outside. It wasn't anything to write home about, but it was the first crocus
I've seen that has sent out a bud. Now I'm expecting to see what Old Man
Winter slings towards us as our mild winter advisory has been updated to a
Winter storm warning with expectations of 1/4 inch of ice as well as
accumulations of snow afterwards after midnight tonight. We'll see. me? I
want a foot of snow, but then, that's just because we haven't HAD any snow
here yet...............I'm sure there are plenty of you who are by now tired
of it and it's just the end of January.
madgardener

During the recent unseasonable heatwave (10 days back? I've been ill and
can't really say for sure) LOML pointed out to me that I had crocuses
blooming under the Mahonia beside the front walk. Like you say, nothing
to brag about but they were doing their best. More worrisome are all the
other bulbs that got fooled into coming up WAY too early for their own
good. Then there are the ones that were discovered by the squirrels...
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]