Old 29-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Jim Marrs

Boiling the soil. Are you serious? I have solarized soil and baked it in an
oven but never boiled to rid it of disease like blight. I really think all
you need to do is buy a bag of seed starter or potting soil and not worry
about treating your soil. Seed germinate in nature with all the normal
bacteria, mold and fungi etc. present. Relax and go for it.

Have Fun

Jim

"Broman24" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm new at gardening, but I'm interested in capturing seeds to
trees/bushes/plants that I like and trying to grow them. So, after
doing some initial research, I have collected some seeds to a Crepe
Myrtle and a couple evergreen trees, placed them in a bag, put them in
my freezer for 21 days (simulating a winter). This is where I currently
stand. The germinating process follows, and from my reading, I came
across information that warns of harmful bacteria or insects in the
soil used to plant the seeds. It recommended boiling the soil to
protect the seed from disease. Can anyone give me more information on
this? Or, is this something I should skip? If so, what type of soil
should I use to plant?

Thanks!