Old 29-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Timothy

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:45:31 +0000, Phisherman wrote:

I observed a ZTR on a neighbor's lot. The operator would turn quickly
and by the end of the season deep ruts were cut into the edges of the
lawn causing some erosion. I guess these machines would do a good job
if the turns were slow, but that's not done. Slow mowing is good for
the lawn.

Even with slow moving this still may be an issue in soft soil. You got to
figure that the ztr weighs 350 pounds plus what ever you weigh and all
that weight is placed over the rear drive wheels. With that said though,
you should get good traction with the weight, but I would be wary of any
steep grades. It looks like it would flip right over on a good grade. Of
course I've never used one, it mearly strikes me that way.

I do a good deal of commerical mowing with a toro 37 proline with a T-bar
handle. This is what you call a mid level walk behind. With the sulky
attachment, I can mow 4+ acers per hour. Of course you walk behind it or
ride a sulky (standing only), but I can mow steep grades with it very
safely. If you get into trouble, you just step off and your safe, no
rolling onto you.

What ever you do, see what you can do about renting a mower your intrested
in. You should be able to find places that will rent to you for the day
and in my opinion, it's money well spent. This way you will be able to see
if this mower is right for you and suits your liking.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com