Old 29-01-2005, 04:46 PM

In article ,
Gramma wrote:

"AZTEC" wrote in message

good luck and, if you don't mind, can we see your entry? AZTEC

If I don't get cold feet in the mean time and if I have the courage I
might run it past for a critique before I enter, which might of course
put me off entering altogether .

Good heavens, don't let anything put you off entering! You have
nothing to lose and everything to gain!

You might want to confer with the contest organizers about what
criteria they will use in judging entries. And even if you don't
"win", you will have the opportunity for your work to be critiqued by
professionals, which can be invaluable.

Note also that there's interest in botanical illustrations for their
aesthetic as well as scientific value. Entering a contest like this
may put your work in front of potential purchasers and even invite
commissions from people who would like drawings of favorite plants.

You'll also have the opportunity to meet other illustrators and people
interested in botanical illustration, which is invaluable, even if it
doesn't lead to monetary gain. It's hard to make money from art, but
creating art is rewarding in itself, and the pleasure in each other's
work you can share with those with the same interests is wonderful,
aside from the advice and information you can obtain from them.