Old 29-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Loki

il 28 Jan 2005 14:08:56 -0800, "simy1" ha scritto:
[snip]
I also disagree that the alkalinity you have is too high. Beets, onions
and chard will like it exactly so, and I find the taste of tomato and
lettuce to be improved by alkaline shots of wood ash. Various brassicas
and some mustards will be better at 7 than at 6.5. Garlic, peas or
chicory will not care. Zucs, potatoes, beans and peppers do like it
more acid, and of course all berries except blackberries like it acid.

I've read on a site in Queensland that peppers like it slightly
alkaline. And figs also like it alkaline, so much so that some people
put concrete fragments in the bottom of the pot. Mushroom compost is
alkaline and if not sterilised , a source of mushrooms later. :-))

(unfortunateluy I can't locate the URL)
--
Cheers,