Old 29-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Lady Blacksword

I've been trying this on Sue's advice, and used the whole cane (the part
that broke off in my case) with the bottom end kinda tucked into the sphag.
(I stuck the sphag in a little wicker basket left over from Easter and hung
it under my grow lights) I've been misting the whole thing every cople of
days (it's really dry here) to keep it vaguely moist. It seems to be
working, as one of the two canes is starting to keiki at a node.
Murri

"Larry" wrote in message
Do I use the whole canes after separating them from each other at the
bottom, or just a portion of the canes?

Any specific recommendations as to how much of the cane should be buried
in the potting mix?

Also, if I use a bed of sphagnum moss, I suppose I should keep the moss
moist, correct?

Thanks in advance...

Larry

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Dendrobium backbulbs will frequently throw new shoots which will root.
You can stake it in a small clay pot (for the weight) with a well drained
mix and only mist until new growth shows. Alternately you can lie the
canes down on a bed of spaghnum. Many joints should throw keikis (new
young plants) which can then be detached and grown on their own. If the
canes are yellow or soft just toss them as they won't grow anything.
Gary