Old 29-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Clurrie

Even the little "stream" and "waterfall" are iced over but, if I stand
real close, I can hear the water flowing inside the ice “tube”...
Several inches of ice over the main pond, no easily to locate hole (just
inside the ice "pipe" the waterfall drops through) so I haven't seen the
fish of late. It's about -27 Celsius (-13 Fahrenheit) tonight in New
Brunswick. With the breeze, the Chill Factor is about -45 C. (-53 F.),
so I don't think I'll bust a hole through. The fish hardly came up to
feed before the cold snap and it's been pretty well a week of this
stuff... Lots of bird track (pheasants, I think), and small animal
tracks all around. Also been visited by this feral cat that is doing
it's best to drive me nuts.... The pond is 7 feet deep, so I don't
anticipate any grave problems unless maybe if the pump gives up the
ghost... The fish are brook trout, so should be able to take the cold
(at least I hope so). This is our first winter with the pond up and
stocked, so only time will tell.... The floating plants are long gone,
but the arrowhead and iris should be OK and the water lilies are fairly
deep... Funny, the little solar powered accent lights we left out there
where on just after dark. I didn't think the batteries would pick up
enough juice in this cold...

Wonderful little experiment at the very least... We'll see what makes
it to the spring after it all thaws... :O)

Clurrie

Artships wrote:
In article ,
~ jan JJsPond.us writes:

Gail, if I was in your situation I'd have my filter on all the time,

*wave to Jan*

My pond's in Fort Worth, about five hours north of Gail's. Had a nice
thorough freeze around Christmas (towards the bottom,
http://artships.com/pond.php). Pump is still... Pumping, skippy is
still keeping the water clear. Fish still swim, albeit with a bit
more deliberation at times. Landscaping's a mess since everything
that had been green isn't, and The Crew has torn-up the grass playing
"Chase".

Hey, Gail - Still got all those birds on your back porch?

John