Old 29-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Duncan Heenan wrote:
I am about to start planting phase 2 of my orchard (non-commercial) which

am developing, having just finished terracing it with retaining walls. I
would appreciate any suggestions on what to plant. I am looking for
something a little 'different', but low maintenance (so no soft fruit).

Quince?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Yes Quince and medlar came straight to mind (quince makes a good cross
pollinator for pears)
If you can provide some rain shelter Apricots are easy but you have to stop
the rain spreading peach leaf curl. without a wall peaches are tricky.
Gages are rather nice although you don't often see them these days and I am
very fond of something called a Kea Plum (looks a bit like a damson and
grows wild down here)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk