Old 30-01-2005, 11:10 AM
anton

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in message
I am about to start planting phase 2 of my orchard (non-commercial) which

am developing, having just finished terracing it with retaining walls. I
would appreciate any suggestions on what to plant. I am looking for
something a little 'different', but low maintenance (so no soft fruit).
Phase 1 has : Black Mulberry, Cherry, Pears (conference & Williams),
Apples( Cox Orange Pippin, Bramley, Granny Smith, George Cave, Deacons
Millennium), Plums (Victoria, Purple Pershore, Damson), Greengages
(Cambridge Gage, Laxton's superb), a peach & a nectarine. On another wall

have 7 grape vines.
My woods already have walnut, hazel & Kent cob in among a mixture of

native
tress dominated by sycamore, beech and oak. There is a badger set in the
woods (they regularly vandalise my lawn), red squirrels and a large

variety
of birds, including a number of resident woodpeckers. Moles thrive also.
Phase 2 is smaller, about 30metres by 7 metres, but a sun trap - very
sheltered with a south facing back wall. It is on the south of the Isle of
Wight, about 1/2 mile from the sea with a mild climate and frosts are rare
and moderate. The soil is reasonably moist but well drained, not rich, and
is a mixture of clay and sandstone, and I shall have little chance of
improving it much.
I have already decided to have some apricot fans on the back wall, and a
couple of olive trees, but now I've run out of ideas. Ideas please! Over

you.

Plums are very low maintenance- so have lots more dessert plums and gages-so
gorgeous eaten from the tree. As mentioned by others- peaches. The rowan
variety Sorbus edulis for rowan jelly. Figs & kiwi fruit on walls. Myrtle.
Quinces- to be used as pomades as well as cooking. More pears as they each
have such a short season. Amelanchier for sweet little berries in June.
Big-berried elderberries (one variety of which originated on the IoW)

http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/
for some unusual ideas, expressed very enthusiastically.

--
Anton
http://www.btinternet.com/~treesandfruit/index.htm