Old 30-01-2005, 05:26 PM
K Barrett

Default Genetic fingerprints

The Feb issue of 'Orchids' has a nice article that's way over my head on the
genetic fingerprint for Phrag. kovachii.

Finally I can see the results of a so-called fingerprint and I can see how
the A,T,G and C's all match up - so I can see how they'd be valuable in
forensics.

Now.

How does one recognise and isolate one individual from another?

Is "CSI/Orchids" our next TV program?

K Barrett
(Yes, I'm amazed you have to explain this to me. I *love* reading forensic
murder mysteries, yet I know that the forensic DNA PCR tests that are used
in a court of law only check 9 or so places in order to determine within a
certain probability that the DNA in question comes from a certain
individual or not. However the article makes note that 'they' will be using
the genome of P. kovachii to forensically identify individuals - presumably
tracking them from known source materials - and tracking the use of this
'known source DNA' in hybrids. Surely making P. kovachii one of the best
(worst) known and tracked individuals on the planet! I tell you, its a
Shakespearian tale! - A tale told by an idiot, full of wind and fury,
signifying nothing...)