Old 31-01-2005, 01:59 AM
Ray

It all depends on the other factors of your culture...

"K Barrett" wrote in message
As long as I have come out of lurkdom I'll toss in my 2 cents. I've been
growing catts, catasetums, paphs and lord knows what else in coir since
about 2000. Its good stuff if handled well (like Jim says). Remember
that
plant roots need air and you'll be OK. See the OrchidSafari archives
http://www.geocities.com/brassia.geo/OSTA.html

K Barrett

"James Aldridge" wrote in message
Just as a note, I have been raising a number of cattleyas in what phal
growers call "mud" -- just plain, old soilless potting mix (ProMix HP
-- the HP for high porosity). They're happy as clams so long as I am
really careful about letting them dry out thoroughly before watering.

Jim

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:51:59 -0800, tbell wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:11:06 -0800, wrote
(in article .com):

Has anyone grown orchids using cocnut coir as a medium? I was
wondering if it holds too much water for orchids. Thanks!
Billy Duncan
www.indoorfarmsupply.com

I have done, using clay pots, and those I tried, mainly Catts, seemed to
thrive as long as the water ran through quickly and they were not
watered
before they had largely dried.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA