Old 30-01-2005, 10:34 PM
scratchy

I haven't pruned anything, but all the new growth is making me
anxious. They're leafing out like it's the middle of March. I'm
sitting on my hands until mid-February.

I really like Noisettes, too. I started with Mme. Alfred Carriere and
now I have Crepuscule and Gloire de Dijon as well. The latter is not as
vigorous and fast growing as the others, but possibly has the prettiest
bloom. Mine is young and gets a little more shade than the other two,
though.

I planted Heritage several years ago and have added many Austin roses
since. Some definitely don't care much for our Texas summers. My best
are Heritage, Graham Thomas, Abraham Darby, Sophy's Rose and
Molineux. Sophy's Rose and Molineux are little flower factories,
always blooming. Heritage and Graham Thomas are pretty quiet during the
hottest parts of summer, but otherwise grow well and are healthy
plants. I have both out front and when they flush, it makes silent
alarms go off all over town and that's when neighbors will come ask
about my roses. LD Braithewaite, Scepter'd Isle, and Sharifa Asma did
not grow well for me and rarely had a bloom other than small flushes in
spring and fall. I've kept Sharifa Asma because the blooms it does
have are so beautiful. I'm moving her to where she'll receive more
shade in the afternoon and I'm hoping she'll perk up a bit there.
scratchy
Zone 8 TX (near Austin)