Old 30-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Mike Lyle

anton wrote:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "anton" contains these words:

-and the smokescreen laid down by europhiliacs attempting to deny
that kitchen refuse was banned from being composted would feature
where in your weltanschauung?

UK kitchen refuse is not banned from composting
http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/...cs/kitchen.htm

From your source:
"This effectively means that compost produced from kitchen waste
cannot be spread onto land"
so while you can compost it, you cannot legally spread the compost
onto land' Bit pointless really, composting, isn't it, unless you
'spread it on land'.

(and as I recall, the earlier claims that it was, stemmed from
careless reading of Defra's statement on composting of

industrial
foodwaste.)

The legislation is not restricted to industrial foodwaste. Again
from your source:
"The amended Animal By-products Order ***will*** also exempt

domestic
households from the need to be licensed by the State Veterinary
Service to compost catering/kitchen waste." [My emphasis added]

So the ******* have made illegal what nearly everyone in this ng is
doing, and since then have been trying to avoid admitting it. I'm
even deeper in the soup, because I have hens.

Happy composting,

¿Que? I could have sworn that said domestic households ***will*** be
exempted! Must be getting old.

Mike.