Old 30-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In some dioecious plants vestigial stamens are present in female plants,
and vestigial styles in male plants. A quick Googling failed to find a
description of the state in Pernettya mucronata. An article in the
American Journal of Botany describes Pernettya rigida as cryptically
dioecious; one might suspect that P. mucronata of being the same.

The mind boggles - thanks for the education. I knew about the plants
that are undecided whether to be monoecious or dioecious, but I never
suspected the existence of cryptically dioecious ones ....

Sex is pretty confused in some vertebrates (and I am not referring to
Michael Jackson, here), but flowering plants make vertebrates look
simple. I haven't yet heard of a plant with three sexes, but I wouldn't
be flabberghasted to hear that there is one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.