Old 31-01-2005, 12:31 AM
Warwick

In article ,
says...
In article MPG.1c6651b8c2e3677698990c@dalai, Warwick
writes
Has anyone tried these deals?

Warwick

I can send some cuttings if you'd like. Ask Kay or Jill Bell, they'll
confirm it

I have spare ones that can do with a new home.

I *know* that with a bit of work and a lot of charitable help from you
lot, I could get it all done for free and probably get nicer varieties
and some interesting plants, but the postage alone for all of those
cuttings would be more than the price of the catalogue deal. I *will*
be adding to it myself from cuttings, packets and plants bought
elsewhere, so as it matures it'll gain character properly.

Problem is that with 20 square metres of new bed to get stuff going on,
with cuttings and the generosity of friends, it'd be full of gaps for a
couple of years.

I'd really prefer to do everything from seed where possible, the Dahlias
in the other bed are all seed and this year should be truly spectacular
in the late summer, but I don't have the room or time to nurture that
many seedlings of that many plants in one year.

SWMBO wants a lavendar hedge along the driveway no way am I going to
fork out the cash for 60 feet of plants to do that, I have 3 varieties
of lavendar, lots of 3" pots and am air layering them so I'm not
unwilling to do the work, but this once I'd like to take a shortcut.

Warwick