Old 31-01-2005, 02:18 AM
Steve

K Barrett wrote:

In this instance they tested 4 separate plants of Phrag kovachii and the
resultant DNA sequences were all the same. Wouldn't there have been some
sort of difference in their DNA if they were individuals?.................

If you can believe that more than 98% of human DNA is identical to
chimpanzee DNA, it makes it easier to believe that they would find zero
difference between four different (but probably closely related)
kovachii plants.
Keep in mind that I'm not talking about the DNA actually having zero
difference. I'm assuming that Jim is right about how the analysis was
done. Breaking up the DNA strands at certain points still allows for
some undetected differences in between the breaks.
When pictures of different kovachii plants started to hit the print and
the internet, there seemed to be some obvious differences between
plants. If someone could map the entire genome of these different
plants, then some little variations would be seen.

Steve