Old 31-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Theo

In a message dated 1/31/05 12:03:38 AM, Theo writes:

maybe you should not use florescente lighs mine are outside on a balcony
all year , and under a plastic shelter roof now

That's what I mean by location. What is the coldest it can possibly get
outdoors where you have the pomegranate? As far as I know, Punica is listed for
Zone 8. Add a zone for container growing and a dwarf cultivar, and the minimum
temperature this tree could stand is 20 F, -6 C. I got a little careless last
week & forgot to turn on the heater one night, & it went down to 15, -10 C in
the sunporch. I'm afraid it would have killed the pomegranate. In addition, if I
gave a pomegranate a normal Zone 5 dormant period, from October to April, I
doubt if it would ever bloom.
Iris

Hi Iris
I am in zone 7 but we have many Grenades all over the prk in plain
ground I know it is different but they are huge about 3-4 meters tall
I think that for the plants that loose their leaves you should mybe
put them in the basement or garage no leaves no clorphillian function
so they can hibernate in the dark justa keep en eye on the soil
that as you know needs to ne moist
My bonsai growers has all his plants oustside during the winther in a
north position quite cold and I even sow Stewartia monodelpha and
grenades and maples and he said that are used to ..
another valid solution for you in zone 5 is to bury the pot under
mulch or peat in a wooden box .. it will protect the roots ..

I sow my Serissa the leaves are still green and the soils a bucket of
ice well it is 6 cuttings so I did not spend a penny after all ..
but I wish will survive

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :