Old 31-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Brigitte

"madgardener" wrote in message

"HaHaHa" wrote in message
From: Phisherman

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:24:56 GMT, "Brigitte"
wrote:

I have a very large bag of Miracle Gro potting soil that's been

sitting
on
my porch all (Nebraska) winter.

Is it still OK to use? I have a few houseplants that need

transplanting
into larger pots and wondered if it would be alright to use this

potting
soil.

Thanks in advance.

Brigitte

It should be okay, provided it was kept closed so bugs could not crawl
into it. If you want to make sure, bake the soil at 275 F for an
hour.

Serves what, 12? :-)

depending on the servings, and amount left in the bag..........but

seriously
for a moment........baking the soil for an hour at 275o will make SUCH a
stink.........and it's MIRACLE GRO soil, it has FERTILIZERS and TIME

release
substances. She'll render those down to useless. Like Ann said, it's
probably frozen, so bring it into the garage or kitchen or utility room to
thaw,wherever you're going to pot these plants up at, and check for bugs,
and pot those houseplants up with no problem. The shock of fresh soil will
make them nuts and since it's Miracle Gro soil, the time release nutrients
will start them in an early spurt of growth. Me? I'd top dress the plants
at the end of February or mid March.

I understand the need or desire to pot up houseplants right now though.

It's
the only way with winter going on outside to get our hands into the soils
until true spring.

Yes, spring isn't getting here quick enough and I'm suffering from dirt
withdrawal.

I do it myself all the time. But please, I suggest you
DON'T bake that soil. If it were just plain stuff, maybe.

I won't bake, I promise.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Brigitte